I want to start cosplaying more; and smaller, local conventions like these are the best way to get my foot in the door. Unfortunately, my mother's sewing machine has been broken for some time now, so I doubt I'll be able to make any more Tolkien-themed outfits anytime soon. I've started thinking about easier outfits I could make, either by compiling pieces from my closet or buying something in a store and then altering it.
I've always wanted to be a Pokémon Trainer, and because I have so many toys from the franchise, I figured it wouldn't be too difficult to put together my own Trainer outfit. So around I dug through my closet to see what I could find:
- Schoolgirl skirt - I forgot I had this from high school, but I am so glad I kept it.
- Red wig - voluminous enough to look like something from an anime; but it's tangled after years of neglect, and if I'm going to do an anime cosplay, I think I'll want brighter hair.
- Pokédex - from the 1990s. Still running on its original batteries, too!
- Pokéballs - I've been periodically buying these Pokémon figures which come with Pokéballs. I'd love to grab a few more for my costume; but if not, I probably have more in my chest of Pokémon toys!
- Pokémon - Off the top of my head, I have a few plushies to choose from: Pikachu, Tepig, Chikorita, Vaporeon, mini Charmander, and mini Flareon – and many more packed in my parents' shed, which we're going to try and get out within the next couple of weeks. I have so many Pokémon dolls to choose from, but at the same time, I want to find one that is a realistic size (for instance, my Vaporeon doll is large, but in "real life", it would be too small to be a real Vaporeon).